Tram Konstal N (20)
History of the tram
Before World War II particular cities located on the present territory of Poland had individual for each network tram fleet, and after the war, the new communist authorities decided to develop a project of simple and the total solid wagons, a single for the entire country. The result of this work was to begin production of normalised trams, marked with the letter "N" in Chorzów Plant of Steel Structures "Konstal".
They were technologically obsolete at design time, but thanks to that were durable and easy to maintain The newly put into service at the beginning of the fifties "Ns" were for nearly half a century the basis for rolling stocks across the country. This resulted in their numerous upgrades and modernization Due to the construction of tram turning loops in the place of crossover points, vehicles were converted to unidirectional, thereby increasing their capacity. In place of heavy one-piece manual door, mounted biplane with electric drive based on the transmission of drills. The cars were assembled circuit of low voltage, allowing the installation of the emergency rail brakes and direction indicators. In addition, it was common to use parts of the newer construction, so the trams received among other things, new pantographs and reflectors. All these changes have improved safety and comfort. Part of this generation of vehicles was also turned into specialized freight and technical cars - tugs, tower cars (to service overhead lines), training vehicles, and snowploughs or snow-blowers.
From the streets of our city they disappeared in 1988 doing the last courses on November 28 on the route number 7, thus becoming a cult trams from era of communism. Presented engine car was produced in 1954 for Warsaw, and in view of the surplus of the old fleet has been sold to Krakow in 1969, where it immediately passed modernization. It was renovated in 2003 on the basis of freight car and started plying of the Krakow's Museal Route. Since then, it is the core of the historic rolling stock plying the streets of our city.
|Type of car:||Low-speed, single-section, single-ended motorcar|
|Years of production:||1948-1956|
|Years of duty in Krakow:||1949-1988|
|Historic car:||from 2003|
|Total length:||11 000 mm|
|Curb weight:||14 000 kg|
|Number of axles:||2|
|The number and power of engines:||2x 60kW|
|Number of seats:||16|
|Number of places in total:||90|