Tram Sanok SN2 (87)
History of the tram
Trams of type SN2 have been produced at the turn of 1938 and 1939 in the Galician Society of Building Wagons and Machinery in Sanok. As indicated by the marking of class, they were the second series of standard gauge railcars, which are adapted to the motion along used today in Krakow gauge of rails. Their purchase by the city of Krakow was dictated by the very rapid development of the tram network and the tremendous influx of passengers. Earlier Krakow Municipal Electric Railway was helping yourself by reconstructions of trams in their own workshops, but it was not enough in the long term. Due to the place of their origin, trams gained the colloquial name of "Sanoks."
Delivered just before the Second World War the new trains had a steel construction with many elements of wood and brass. The work of tram driver facilitated fully enclosed platforms and wipers, so driving the tram was comfortable regardless of weather conditions. Passenger compartment was closed by coupled, double sliding doors. To calm the run of tram had applied additional shock absorbers of wheel sets, making passengers felt less uneven tracks and crossings. In one car were also tested a new type of wheel with additional depreciation, but just returned to this solution after 20 years in the wagons 102N from the Chorzów factory.
"Sanoks" although it they were not the largest group of Krakow's carrier trams, were very recognizable against operated at the time rolling stock and they were praised by the operator and passengers, much more than cars manufactured just after the war. The last motorcar rolled off the line in 1976, while a year earlier the tram number # 87 was rebuilt into plow blade. Thanks to this the tram retained until the '90s, which led to its later reconstruction of the Municipal Department of Repair for Trams in Krakow, currently repair division of MPK SA.
|Manufacturer:||Sanocka Fabryka Wagonów (Sanok)|
|Type of car:||Low-speed, single-section, double-ended motorcar|
|Years of production:||1939|
|Years of duty in Krakow:||1939-1976|
|Historic car:||from 1991|
|Total length:||10 900 mm|
|Curb weight:||11 200 kg|
|Number of axles:||2|
|The number and power of engines:||2x 44kW|
|Number of seats:||24|
|Number of places in total:||58|